Desktop panning and a nitpick (was Re: How do I disable/modify desktop panning?)

David Wijnants dwijnants at askalix.com
Fri Jul 26 18:16:07 CEST 2002

You could work your way up the process tree to see how you are related
to X, but there are quite a number of scenarios:

- exec the window manager at the bottom of .xinitrc, and get it to
  run the panel as a module. In this case, the panel can send
  commands to the window manager. This is what I do at work, I
  run xfwm, but with my own Tcl/Tk panel; it is also more or less
  what xfwm does by default.

- spawn the window manager first, and then exec the panel. In this
  case, when the panel exits, the window manager is killed, along
  with any other X applications. This is how I used to run the xfce
  panel with mwm; the panel warns you correctly that you are about
  to log out.

- run the panel from an xterm. In this case exiting the panel will
  have no effect on the rest of X, but xfce gives a misleading
  warning.

- get the panel to look at its children to see if one of them is a
  window manager. This works ok with xfwm and mwm, but catering for
  the millions of other window managers might be a problem (and it
  might not be very portably either).

- get spawned by a session manager. In this case, the panel exits,
  but the rest stays up until the session manager is closed (unless
  the panel has a way of closing the session manager). I don't use
  session management myself, so I'm not sure how this would work
  in practice.

- and probably many other ways of doing the same things...

I hope this helps. Maybe others could share their own experiences
of using XFce in other environments.

Dave.