libgcc_s.so.1 needed...

Tim Tassonis timtas at cubic.ch
Thu Aug 29 19:41:27 CEST 2002

Ho John

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:36:10 -0500
"Gammon, John P" <gammonj at indy.raytheon.com> wrote:

> Can someone please look up this file and see what package it belongs to?
> need to download it and install it.

This belongs to dynamically linked gcc3. With gcc3, dynamic linking is the
default and at least Suse have a gcc3 package with a dynamic libgcc. So,
if you build an app there with gcc3 and install it on a machine without
gcc3 installed (and mind you, this is the default with Suse...), it will
not work. So much for Red Hat incompatibilites.

Solution on Suse:

- Get and install gcc3 rpm with:

rpm -Uvh gcc3...

- Get gcc3 RPM, then:
cd /tmp
rpm2cpio gcc3*.rpm |cpio -idv
cp `find usr/lib -name "libgcc_s*" ` /usr/lib
rm -rf usr

Solution for Developers:

- If building with suse gcc3, include libgcc_s with the package.

- Get rid of that crap suse build and compile gcc3 on your own with
--disable static:

tar xzf gcc-3.2.tar.gz
mkdir objdir
cd objdir
../gcc-3.2/configure  --prefix=/opt/gcc3 --enable-languages=c,c++
--with-local-prefix=/opt --disable-shared --enable-static
make bootstrap
su -c "make install"
cd ..
rm -rf objdir