xfpager, and general observations

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Aug 19 04:26:25 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

> Bingo! I was able to reproduce your problem on my machine! Though, I must
> admit, I can not explain it. :( Maybe Olivier can help us. I have to look
> closer to the way, how xfwm starts modules.

Well at least I wasn't dreaming...

> Right now I have one more question: are you using the same shell as 'xfce'
> user (or whatever sandbox owner username is on your machine)? Hmm, xfwm is
> using execvp function, to spawn the module... It has nothing to do with
> the shell... But that's the only idea I have now. Please make sure that
> your account and xfce test user account have the same shell and the same
> PATH.

My dummy user is `wm'. It has the same shell and shell init files as me
`reader'.  I just copied .bashrc .bash_profile over.
The path is identical too.

> Here is the explanation, how I managed to reproduce the problem:
>
> I though I may have something to do with timing during the
> xfwm-xfce-xfpager communications, and I was going to suggest you to delay
> xfpager startup. But when I've decided to try it on my machine, I suddely
> got exactly the same behaviour: not matter, what is in the xfwmrc file,
> xfwm has it's own idea of xfpager location (ignoring xfpager.geometry
> settings).

Can you look at palette/Startup/[]xfpager at that point and see if it
is checked or not?  (Just a long shot)

Also, if there is something in xfwmrc that causes an error, will that
cause the geometry setting to be ignored?

> P.S. the behaviour of the "Quit" function on your box still looks
> strange. AFAIK no matter which "Exit"/"Quit" button you are clicking, the
> same "Quit" command got sent to the xfwm process.

It turned out to be something really dumb.  I had set the same key
combo in `wm' .xfce/xfwmrc   as in `reader' .xfce/xfwmrc

Key q  A CSM  In both rc files.  So pressing that combo backed me
clear out to console.

After changing the combo in the sandbox rc file.  It doesn't happen.