minor autoconf/automake annoyances

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Wed Apr 24 09:05:29 CEST 2002

At 01:45 AM 4/24/02, you wrote:
>Es schrieb Jasper Huijsmans:
> >
> > I'm afraid I can't confirm that it works with the older versions.
> >
> > On the other hand, I think I found my gettext problem:
> >
> > At the end of configure.in there is a sed command on po/Makefile.in to
> > po/Makefile.
> > However, po/Makefile is already created by configure! If I commant out
> > this line I get the proper result.
>
>interesting.
>

> > Am I the only one with this problem?
>
>never notice. I just saw that the po-makerules were triggered a lot
>more often than necessary...

Actually I was thinking, shouldn't all those sed commands be replaced with
their autoconf equivalents (AC_SUBST(var) and AC_OUTPUT (file)).

> utter
> > >
> > > That makes at least two of us ;-)
> > >
> > > Some time ago I tried automake 1.5 and it didn't work right. AFAIR,
> Guido said
> > > something about it being broken. Although I do get some AM_this_and_that
> > > warnings, automake-1.4p5 works ok here.
>
>you can safely ignore those - some macros where shuffled from this
>to that but autoconf can sort it out after all...

>hmm, I use am_maintainer_mode quite often but I am no pleased either
>with the current behaviour.... it should work anyway...

It does work, it only runs al autotools again. I read in the documentation
that it is suposed to do that unless AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is used. Maybe I
misread it.

>Woow, another interesting case. the configure will create the dep-files
>but there is an explicit entry in the makefile.am's (being remainings
>from earlier versions) that remove these files. May be, these .deps
>in CLEANFILES should be removed instead...

>ooops ... but look closer, it does even remove the noinst_DATA from
>the final Makefile. however, it shouldn't be a problem if it comes
>later, what the *real* problem is... aahmm.... did you notice the
>backslash-newline-escape just before the end of the file itself?
>... just do something about it and... and it works :-)=)

Right, I saw those and removed them. I didn't think it would matter. Well
this is even easier then.

>dunno about that.... po is not my type of autotoolish stuff...

This was solved by removing the sed line at the end of config.in.

> 2) and
> > >
> > > If the changes make it work with automake 1.5 without breaking the way it
> > > works with automake 1.4p5, I can think of no good reason why not to
> commit.
> > >

>the makefiles can indeed be made compatible for 1.4p5 *and* 1.5,
>what's not that easy would be to make everything compatible from
>2.13 up to 2.53...
>
>... btw, I don't like 2.53, please use 2.52 or one of the updates for 2.53.
>Use 2.53 or later if you want a feature from automake 1.6...

I don't particularly want to use any version. It's just that they came with
slackware-current and that's what I installed. And I'm always willing to
try new versions. I knew there would probably be difficulties, so all this
is partly (mostly) my own fault.

However when I installed automake-1.4p4 and autoconf-2.50 from slack-8 I
got a warning about 'library being used but LIBTOOL not defined' in
lib/Makefile.am. Maybe autoconf 2.13 will work.

>(btw, sorry for not reading the mailinglist regularly, too busy in other
>  areas for the moment).

Thanks for the answers. And ...

>have fun, guido

... I always have when playing with xfce :-).

Jasper