[Xfce-apps] proposition of framework

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Tue Mar 8 18:40:42 CET 2005

samuel verstraete wrote:

>So,
>
>As other 5 volunteers seem to have stop development of a framework on
>directory.xfce.org, I decided to volunteer...

you're hired.

>(find me on #xfce nick ElAngelo)
>
>The idea is simple and pretty logic.
>Lets center all applications and artwork for xfce4.
>
>url : directory.xfce.org
>
>I would subdivide the 2 "main categories" (lists are not exclusive....
>others can and will be added)
>
>1. applications
>            - media
>            - office
>            - graphics
>            - plug-ins
>            - ...
>
>2. art
>            - desktop (let's keep this low priority)
>            - window manager (window border art)
>            - User Interface (gtk2.0 themes)
>            - Icon themes
>            - Splash Screens
>            - xffm themes
>            - rox themes?
>            - ...
>
>Artwork will be controlled and certified. (for instance one can submit
>as much artwork as he likes but all of this artwork (not quite sure on
>the applications) will be tested by (a) maintainer(s) before they are
>released. I understand that this is in a way obstructive but it is
>mainly to guarantee a flawless xfce4 experience. None of the artwork is
>off course property so the submitter can submit his work on other
>websites too if he thinks the framework is to obstructive.

verify any copyright issues, just to make sure there's not someone
posting celeb photos and stuff like that.

>As far as I see we need a framework where one could submit his artwork
>and depending on the "kind" of artwork it has to pass the maintainer
>before it is released.
>I will try to start guidelines of "good" artwork as quickly as
>possible... (i need some real standard themes for this so i can check
>against a standard).
>
>Next we could think on releasing themes in a package but that seems more
>like the work for the people of certain linux/bsd-distributions. I could
>release monthly tar.gz package which gathers all "certified" themes.
>This would then have to be done by a script as i don't think this is
>something someone wants to do on a monthly basis. (this seems like low
>priority for me now)

tarballs are a good start. I wouldn't start doing this. Actually, a huge
tarball might be a problem. Maybe in a later stage you can select
'popular' themes and package those.

>I would like to keep the "applications" frame quite open until we have a
>substantial set of applications that are xfce-oriented. This is a matter
>of opportunism in a way that we do not scare developers away...

freshmeat-like submission and verification would be enough I'd say... no
need to make it complicated.

>(basically i don't have a lot ideas on the application thing)

darn... that's where we need you!

>For me, the framework of icewalkers.com seems quite nice.
>So I want a kind of "development" feeling in the framework. This will
>show to the art-creators that we think the artwork is important and will
>stimulate them to create nice themes. Notice the "feeling", as i do not
>want to create a second freshmeat or sourceforge.

of course

>A real forum will only complicate things and is hard to maintain
>(especially if we ever want to bundle the artwork)

wasn't the idea anyway, we were more looking for something 'static-ish',
to reduce the burden on maintainers as well as to keep it clean.

>We better have some wiki thing to so we can develop some howto's
>(although i want to be able to maintain and to monitor it)

can be done, although the amount of docs you're gonna make probably is
limited and you are far better off referring to existing documentation
(or just copying those). That would save you a lot of time.

>Now i want to create a little brainstorming on this subject i will try
>to bundle this to create the final thing :)
>
>This is not meant to be in any way obligatory so feel free to correct
>and add your own ideas :)

I guess we just ened to find a proper way to setup the website... the
CMS of choice probably is the most important choice... thoughts?

sofar