ANNOUNCE: xfdashboard 0.8.0 released
nomad at froevel.de
Wed Dec 23 10:36:05 CET 2020
xfdashboard 0.8.0 is now available for download from
What is xfdashboard?
xfdashboard provides a GNOME shell dashboard like interface for use with
Xfce desktop. It can be configured to run to any keyboard shortcut and
when executed provides an overview of applications currently open
enabling the user to switch between different applications. The search
feature works like Xfce's app finder which makes it convenient to search
for and start applications.
Release notes for 0.8.0
xfdashboard-0.8.0 "Xfce 4.16 is out ... and me too :)" was released on
This is a stable release.
* NOTE: Raised minimum version of Glib to 2.38 for replacements
of deprecated function g_type_class_add_private()
* New feature: New application icon which follows rDNS naming
* New feature: Implement pop-up menu which is currently only used by
icons in quicklaunch when right-clicking at them.
* New feature: The windows in windows view gained support to show also
child windows, e.g. open/save dialogs etc. This feature is themable
by default in default theme. But it can also be disabled at all by the
in xfdashboard settings application, e.g. for performance reasons. The
decision to disable this feature in the settings overrides anything
at the theme used. (GH #132)
* New feature: All windows can now be drag'n'drop from any actor to any
other window-related actor. So it is now possible to move a window
from a workspace to another workspace directly via the workspace
selector without the need to change the workspace to the one
the window first. You can also drag'n'drop windows from workspace to
windows view to move a window to the current workspace. (GH #79)
* New feature: The window tracker and all other related classes are now
interfaces to support multiple window systems, like X11, GDK and
Currently only X11 is support as it did all the time but preparation
work is done to support GDK as well and maybe wayland some day. (GH
* New feature: Added a fine-grained controllable debug system. If debug
enabled in configure script the user can use the environment variable
XFDASHBOARD_DEBUG to enable categories to debug. But also classes
XfdashboardActor can be set in this environment variable to debug a
specific class. Classes are case-sensitive and must be in camel-case.
You can mix categories and classes in enviroment variable. You can
multiple categories and/or classes to debug by separating them by
* New feature: At a theme's layout xml file you can now specify which
actor of the focusable ones should be selected on theme load.
a new optional attribute to <focus>, a sub-node of <focusables>, was
added which is called "selected". This attribute "selected" is a
attribute and expects to be set to either "true" or "false". If set
"true" this actor will be selected instead of the search box which is
the default. If set to "false" it has no impact and handled as this
attribute does not exist. This new attribute should only be used once
over all layout xml files. A warning will be printed if it used more
than once but the theme will load successfully. The user can also
configure in the setting if this selected focus should be re-selected
also when the application resumes at daemon mode (GH #144)
* New feature: New actions "selection-move-next",
"focus-move-first", "focus-move-last" and "focus-move-to" for use at
custom key bindings were added. They are not bound at the default key
bindings file installed. (GH #144, GH #145)
* New feature: Window tracker interface now supports a new experimental
backend for GDK. The backend to use can be controlled with the new
environment variable XFDASHBOARD_BACKEND. It can be either set to
"x11" or "gdk". If this environment variable does not exists or is
not set then the X11 backend is enforced as it is the known default
behaviour of xfdashboard and GDK backend is marked as experimental.
* New feature: Allow user to override CSS files of themes to apply
user favourite settings. This cChanged the way and order how CSS
files of themes are loaded: First the CSS resources defined in
theme's theme file (xfdashboard.theme) are loaded, then user's
global stylesheet ($HOME/.config/xfdashboard/themes/global.css) is
loaded if it exists and at last user's theme related stylesheet
($HOME/.config/xfdashboard/themes/user-[THEME_NAME].css) is loaded
if it exists. This should make user changes to themes more
convinient as the user does not need to copy the whole theme to
$HOME/.themes or $HOME/.local/themes and then make his changes.
The user also does not need to update its theme each time the
origin theme changes and re-copy and re-apply its changes. (GH #152)
* New feature: Big sorry to all translators who did all the hard
work to translate xfdashboard to their language but their hard
work was never included. It was my fault as I was to stupid to
use Transifex client tool correctly :( Now I do not only update
all locales already included but I will also fetch new ones. So
the number of supported languages raised from 8 to 13. New ones
are: da, de, kk, pl and tr (GH #155)
* New feature: GDK backend is now optional and it will be enabled
automatically if Clutter backend is available, i.e. FreeBSD does
not install Clutter with GDK backend. (#13766, #13860)
* New feature: Support also current xfconf versions (4.13.x).
New xfconf version support native GPtrArray (from glib) for
string lists and make dbus-glib deprecated. dbus-glib is only
needed (and checked by configure script) if current stable xfconf
(4.12.x) is used as its GPtrArray is still needed in this case.
* New feature: Support for touch screen which supports "clicking"
buttons for now. Thanks to TheToq2 (GH #157)
* New feature: Support of application actions defines at desktop
entries which get listed in the pop-up menus of application
buttons. These application actions are already known as action
in so-called "Jumplists" or "Quicklists" (GH #158, GH #160)
* New feature: Support of "Keywords" of desktop entries which
are taken into account when searching (GH #159)
* New feature: Support for animations. Currently only one actor
(XfdashboardCollapseBox) trigger an animation signal to open
or close the collapsed area. All default themes of xfdashboard
will slide in or out the collapsed area smoothly when animation
is enabled (which is enabled by default).
* New feature: The user can turn on or off animations in the
* New feature: Support of more animations. So an actor can
request an animation when a class or pseudo-class is added
or was removed. Also an actor requests an animation when
it was created and shown for the first time. Currently at last
an animation is requested when the actor was moved and or resized.
* New feature: Support of animation if an actor is destroyed. It
will be marked as destroyed by adding a CSS pseudo class
"destroying". The actor will be destroyed finally when animation
* New feature: Introduced a new signal 'actor-created' emitted at stage
where a newly created actor was placed on. Plugins can connect to
signal to detect new actors they are interested in and to modify
* New feature: Introduced a new signal "initialized" in
which is emitted when primary instance is fully initialized, that
all managers and the stage were set up successfully.
* New plugin 'middle-click-window-close' which allows the user
to close windows in windows view with a middle click. This plugin
is not configurable. (GH #128)
* New plugin: Added dummy example search provider plugin. It's
main purpose is to provide a skeleton for creating new search
* Enhancement: Changed loading key bindings to one-or-nothing to
incremental loading. The default behaviour how bindings are loaded
has been changed. Previsouly it tried to the first bindings
configuration file from these location (in this order): The full path
defined at environment variable XFDASHBOARD_BINDINGS_POOL_FILE (if
debug mode was enable at configure script), the user's configuration
folder (usually $HOME/.config/xfdashboard) and at last the
system-wide folder. Now it tries to load the system-wide one
first, then the one at user's configuration folder and merges
all bindings loaded from there to the one already loaded. At
last it check if the environment variable is set (no need for
debug mode anymore) and loads the bindings from this file and
merges them too. (GH #167)
* Enhancement: Added '--version' command-line parameter to determine
the version of xfdashboard running.
* Enhancement: Followed main Xfce project by switching to
"foreign" mode at automake
* Enhancement: Added blue theme screenshot. Thanks to gsantner (GH
* Enhancement: The plugin 'hot corner' support also additional monitors
and not primary monitor only. This option is configurable by user.
* Enhancement: Use xfce library function instead of implementing own
* Enhancement: Enviroment varible XFDASHBOARD_PLUGINS_PATH supports now
more than one additional path with a colon-seperated list
* Enhancement: Improved loading performance of images and icons at
XfdashboardImageContent as it will only start loading when the actor
using this icon or image is mapped. Previously the image or icon
might have been loaded before the actor is mapped resulting in
it multiple time as the size of the actor and/or icon or image
a lot before mapping the actor. The performance was improved to stop
loading images or icons unneccessaryly. All actor will benefit of
change automatically, like XfdashboardLabel.
* Enhancement: Improved CSS parser to determine recursion at theme CSS
which causes the application to crash due to run out of memory (GH
* Changed themes/CSS: Rewrote XfdashboardButton by splitting it into a
XfdashboardLabel class and make XfdashboardButton a sub-class of it.
XfdashboardLabel is exactly the same what XfdashboardButton was but
it does not emit the "click" signal.
* Changed themes/CSS: Splitted XfdashboardLiveWindow into two classes.
XfdashboardLiveWindowSimple just shows a live preview of a window
possible and XfdashboardLiveWindow is a sub-class of it but adds a
title and controls layer (close button) on top of it.
* Changed themes/CSS: Remove themable property 'show-window-content'
from XfdashboardLiveWorkspace. Just replace the following CSS:
show-window-content: <true or false>;
display-type: <icon or live-preview>;
* Changed themes/CSS: The CSS class "primary-monitor" will be added to
or removed from XfdashboardStageInterface depending on the primary
state of associated monitor. With this CSS class the stage interface
of the primary monitor could be themed different as the other
* Changed themes/CSS: Made XfdashboardDynamicTableLayout stylable
and added a new stylable property named "fixed-columns" to
disable dynamic allocation of columns depending on largest width
of a visible child found and enforce a fixed number of columns.
Setting this property to 0 (default) will disable this feature.
* Changed themes/CSS: Properties 'margin-top', 'margin-bottom',
and 'margin-right' of ClutterActor are now themable.
* Changed themes/CSS: Allow windows view to filter windows which are at
current workspace via a new themable property called
'filter-workspace-windows'. This new option is set to TRUE by default
so that all themes will still work as they did before. (GH #126)
* Replace URLs from goodies.xfce.org to docs.xfce.org (#16229)
* Lots of larger and smaller bug-fixes
* Lots of new API documentation
* Translation: Reduced number of translatable strings drastically
* Translation: New translations for bg, ca, el, id, ja, nb, nl,
pt, pt_BR, sl, sq, sv, zh_CN
* Translation: Updated translations for da, de, es, fr, gl, he,
it_IT, kk, lt, pl, ru, sr, tr
* Thanks to all translators and contributors
More information about the Xfce-announce