[Xfce-advocacy] Re: Reminder: Beta 2 this WE

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Oct 29 10:53:29 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:41:34AM +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> >yeah, i'm not convinced that formal release notes are necessary for
> >betas.  i think the main audience for these betas are people on this
> >list, and i think they have a reasonable idea of what to expect.
>
> Thats not true. If betas were only for people on this list, we wouldn't
> need to make the effort to create betas, but could simply announce a CVS
> tag and maybe upload tarballs.
>
> The main audience is - IMHO - people who would like to give Xfce 4.2 a
> try (maybe used 4.0 prior or 4.1cvs) and/or would like to help us with
> testing 4.2.

Yeah, look at the simple outline I wrote in another mail. We want to increae
the number of testers. Reaching out beyond the mailing lists is imporatant for
that. But...

> Formal release notes look also adds value to the project IMHO, so people
> don't recognize Xfce as just another hacker project (yes I know, some
> people prefer the hacker image, but I think we can all agree that a
> professional appearance is the better choice), but a worth alternative
> to other desktop environments.

Please, let's keep the beta release notes simple. The final 4.2.0 release
should make as big a splash as possible with a lots of marketing-speak in the
release notes and explanation of the project, etc. Betas are for people who
already know what xfce is and are curious to see what's new and would like to
help out with testing.

	Jasper