[Xfce-advocacy] 4.0 -> 4.2 log

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 14 02:34:22 CET 2004

hi all,

attached are my revisions.  a few language changes, and i removed
something from the xfdesktop list that isn't true ^_~.

a few general style-guide-ish tips we should go along with:

1) bullet points should start with a capital letter and end with a
period, even when it's not a complete sentence.[1]  the idea here is
consistency.  using lowercase letters and commas tends to make things
run together.
2) use consistent capitalisation for acronyms and proper names, e.g.
"PNG", "X Composite extension", etc.
3) use 3rd person at all times if possible.  that means never using "i"
or "you", or the plural forms of those.
4) using consistent tense in verbs and verb phrases.  e.g., i should
have started this point with "use", not "using".

i didn't really focus too much on #4, because i got tired, and the list
is long.  perhaps someone else can do it.  my suggestion is to use
present tense verbs, e.g., "Uses new Freedesktop spec to have more
reliable foobars."  note that "Improved Xinerama support." is also
correct, as this doesn't have a verb; "improved" is an adjective in this
context.

    -brian

[1] sometimes i advocate using capital letters to start, and no
punctuation at all on the end.  but then what happens if the bullet
point consists of two sentences?  put a period after the first one but
not the last?  so my general policy is just to put periods in to
terminate the bullet points regardless.