Fwd: looking to pay xfce developers for accessibility

Nick Schermer nick at xfce.org
Wed Oct 24 15:05:27 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-24 14:49, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've managed to get the XFCE desktop mostly accessible with the Orca
> screen reader. But it needs a little more help.i will need some
> developers to work on this i think. I'm willing to pay for the work
> that
> is done. I'm the executive director of the Accessible Computing
> Foundation located here.
>
> http;//www.theacf.co
>
> I'm also the maintainer of this distro built for blind and low vision
> people and people with other types of disabilities called Sonar and
> it
> is located here
>
> http://www.sonar-project.org [1]
>
> i would love to have XFCE as the main desktop for Sonar because there
> is
> no need to be using gnome and XFCE is much more light weight than
> Gnome.
> Any help with this effort would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for
> your
> time and help.

You don't need to pay for it (possibly donate at the Xfce foundation
once Jannis finished the paperwork).

The thing is we need guidance/assistance/manpower for this. We simply
don't have all the knowledge how to test (and really test, we can all
start orca) and resolve the accessibility problems. Once someone is
capable of running Xfce from GIT, test and provide fixes I'd be most
grateful for give him/her access to the repositories to push the (small)
changes.

Joanie already started with this and some parts were fixed, but this is
rapidly getting outdated with interface changes:
https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility

Nick