[Xfc-dev] XFCE Foundation Classes alive ??

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Fri Oct 22 21:54:58 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 09:12 PM, Krister Alm wrote:
> I have spent some time trying to learn XFC and I really like it so far.
I like to hear that :-) I maintain the code base at the moment, but at a
very slow pace.
> Now I have upgraded to XUbuntu 10.10 and can't find any of the
> libraries in the Synaptic any more.
> Is this a dead project ??
Not really, but not many uses it (that is me and my self :-)) ...
> I was planing on creating a KDevelop alike program but using XFC
> instead of relying on KDE and Qt since I really would like to have
> that slim system.
That sounds exciting, like the geany project ?
> Are there any progress at all or is it ok if I look into it to see if
> I can
> contribute to it?
Yes a bit, but only slow progress ...
> Any information would be helpful.
My main development have been Xfce related (xconf), gtkbuilder, cairo
and printing.
> I don't have so much free time but would like to use it to help out
> as much as I can. I'm a C++ freak and don't really like the C syntax.
This is my position too, but if we are more than one, this could be a
really nice project.
> However I did some tests and created cmake scripts to aid in the
> program building since I right now feel I'm stuck with KDevelop and
> that program uses CMake.
CMake is a really nice build tool, I am dreaming of converting XFC built
system to CMake too.
> From the site I can see the source package xfc-4.3.2.tar.gz, is this
> the last available or is there anything newer ?
Nope, the latest code are to be found in git.xfce.org ...
> I tried the debian .deb packages but failed to install libxfcui since it
> seems to have dependencies upon itself and thus cant be installed.
Yes, I have had some problems building XFC with the new xfce code,
primary because I did not have time an knowledge to setup a prober
build. But I really like to see this work in the future, and more users
are motivating :-)

I have both an debian and ubuntu package, but I never had it working in
pkg-xfce, only locally.

I hope this is a start of some new life in the project.

/BL