[Xfc-dev] Xcfe4 wrapping features ?

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Sat Dec 16 00:14:21 CET 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:

> MCS fills a nice niche, but the system is a little byzantine. Probably
> the whole MCS system will be replaced during 4.6 development. I
> wouldn't worry about it during this point, and wait for it's
> replacement to arrive.
Ok, so I forget that binding totally ...

> If you mean XfceFileChooser, this is part of libxfcegui4, and is/will
> be deprecated for the GtkFileChooser. It is a product of Xfce trying
> to support older versions of Gtk+
Nice, I keep learning :-)

> xfprint is really just a utility for pretty printing various kinds of
> files. It's not something you should worry about.
And GTK+ has its own, so no reason to worry about this either.

>>From a language bindings point of view, you can take a look at what
> the Perl and Python bindings support. Here is an overview of the
> various libraries, from the point of view of someone writing language
> bindings.
Good point, I may just do that, these (python) could tell me something
about the structure too.

> libxfce4util provides various stuff, such as a config file parser.
> libxfcegui4 has some handy widgets
> The panel library permits you to write panel plugins

> These three (the panel, libgui and libutil) would be a nice binding of
> the "core" desktop APIs. That's where I would start if you were going
> to do C++ bindings for Xfce.
And, except for the deprecated stuff this should be the core part of the
new Xfce C++ binding ?

> And I would consider, if you were going to write C++ bindings for
> things beyond the "core" three, that I would go in this order. exo
> first, thunarx second, thunar-vfs third.
This is because the exo are more general and useful, and thunar things
are more specific to a few selected developers :-)

/BL