[Thunar-workers] lock down thunar for a kiosk

Oliver Long ollylong at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 10:27:52 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I actually want to acheive a couple of things. The main idea is to only allow the user to view what is on his/her usb stick and not allow the user access to the root filesystem.

I'm not using thunar-volman and i can't, which is a bit annoying.

- I'd like to be able to control what is on the shortcuts on the left pane of thunar. Basically i'd like to remove the filesystem and root shortcuts (i know how to remove Desktop) and only add shortcuts to usb drives that are connected. (kinda like thunar volman)
I already have a script that looks up usb drives and mounts them. I just need to add them to the shortcut pane.

- I'd like to be able to stop the user moving back into the filesystem from where they opened the shortcut.
Basically, if the user opens mnt/sdc1. I don't want the user to move back to /mnt/ or any other directory. ONLY directories forward of /mnt/sdc1.

- Last one... is there any way of locking down the menu. (OR hiding it)?

I understand if alot of this is just not possible. But any help would be great.

Thanks,

olly