[Thunar-workers] Fallback Icons in Thunar with OpenBox on Gentoo

Christopher Harrison From at ChrisHarrison.co.uk
Tue May 2 20:37:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Thunar running under OpenBox - so much so that
I'm beginning to wish I installed XFCE from the start! Anyway, I digress
- I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I can't find a
solution to my problem and it's rather irritating.
Basically Thunar is assigning the fallback icon to every item (files,
directories, etc.). Now, I saw in your Wiki FAQ that this is usually
down to one of two things: no XSETTINGS manager or bad icons. When I
emerged Thunar, it included xfce-mcs-manager as one of its dependencies
(IIRC); however, running this when starting X doesn't have any effect.
So, I'm left with the bad icon theory... The problem with this is that
OpenBox doesn't include anything to change the icon theme because, well,
it's just a menu! I did try emerging the XFCE icon theme - it didn't
work - I would assume that this isn't enough and it somehow needs to be
"assigned" in some configuration file. How does one do this? (Sorry: I
realise this isn't a Thunar issue, per sé.) I don't want to emerge XFCE
or Gnome just for an icon theme chooser.

If this isn't the reason; are there any further suggestions?

Many thanks :)
Christopher Harrison