[Thunar-dev] Thunar not picking up custom icon folder color

Markus markus.xp at web.de
Tue Feb 20 07:03:01 CET 2018

I just noticed I mistakenly sent the following answer to golinux
privately instead of the mailing list. I'm copying my answer below for
the record:

The inheritance of the parent theme (gnome) does work as intended, it
does inherit the uncolored (brownish) variant from the gnome icon theme
for the "inode-directory" icon. This is what you described as "[...] the
generic folder/directory icon reverts to gnome." in your original mail.

True, the inherited "inode-directory" is actually a symbolic link as
well. However, the inherited symbolic link is not interpreted relative
to the icon theme it is inherited by (DarkPurpy) but instead always
relative to the path where the link actually resides (gnome). When GTK
interprets the icon theme, it does not copy missing icons from the
inherited themes but instead traverses the inheritance tree recursively
until the first occurrence of the missing icon. This means, icons - and
also symlinks - are always loaded from within the respective theme's
directory.

In your case, the "inode-directory" icon is missing in "DarkPurpy".
Thus, GTK is traversing through the inheritance list (and the resulting
directories) to find the first parent theme that provides such icon,
which is "gnome". The provided symbolic link called
"inode-directory.png" is now interpreted relative to the directory where
the "gnome" theme resides. Thus it points to the corresponding gnome
variant of "folder.png" and returns this as the icon image, which is the
brown one.

When you specify your own symbolic link in the "DarkPurpy" theme
instead, it is loaded from there instantly and no traversing through the
inheritance list is done.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Markus