[Thunar-dev] how to tell thunar never to increase space between icons?

Bruno Dantas thunar at dantas.airpost.net
Tue Mar 14 20:16:29 CET 2017

Markus,

Success!

For the benefit of others similarly grieved by this behavior:

My version of thunar is slightly older than the version for which you wrote the patch (1.6.3-2 vs. 1.6.10), so I manually applied the changes in thunar_fixed_width_final.patch just to make sure everything was in the right place. Then I compiled the patched thunar and installed it.

At first I didn't notice anything different, so I did some internet searching and instinctively tried this:

$ xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-fixed-item-width --create --type bool --set true

BINGO! Your patch now does its magic. Now, icons are *always* a fixed distance from one another.

Wish I could buy you a beer for this fix. Thunar was seriously aggravating my OCD with this annoying behavior. I may try thunar_truncate_final.patch at some point, but I'm perfectly happy for now.

THANK YOU.