[Thunar-dev] Hardlinking instead of moving

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Feb 14 16:29:14 CET 2014

also sprach Sylvain Viart <sylvain at opensource-expert.com> [2014-02-14 11:30 +0100]:
> >I am a user, not a developer, but I have a question I couldn't get
> >answered elsewhere.
>
> Do you have, some command line skill, though?

Certainly ;)

But we'd prefer not to type endlessly.

> What do you mean by very large?
> How many GB, TB or millions of file/folder?

We have 8.9 million files to reorganise. Most of it comes in batches
of 10–50k files and we have plenty of people working on the task, so
it's not too much, but we'd all get tendonitis typing /bin/mv or
/bin/ln.

> If you have some bash programming skill, you can code a small shell
> script which can handle a custom action.

Right, is it possible to make that custom action the default for
a left-click drag?

"the most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
 new discoveries, is not 'eureka!' but 'that's funny...'"
                                                     -- isaac asimov

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net