[Thunar-dev] Thunar performance improvements

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Nov 17 18:40:03 CET 2011

Hi André,

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 17:54:11 +0100
André Gillibert <MetaEntropy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tired of waiting 75 seconds in front of Thunar when listing a
> directory of 7500 symbolic links over a CIFS share, I tried to
> improve performances.

Cool! We often don't have the time to perform detailed benchmarking and
performance optimizations so I'm happy to hear you picked this up as a
challenge.

> Patches overview:
> First, I had to patch the standard file system backend of GIO of GLIB
> 2.28, because, GIO performed stat(2)/lstat(2) operations even when
> requested information didn't need that. I wrote a patch to GIO that
> make it lazy. stat(2)/lstat(2)/readlink(2)/access(2) operations are
> only performed when required. Moreover, special optimization has been
> done to reduce the number of access(2) calls. For example, in a
> directory where most files are read-executable, it will perform only
> access(R_OK|X_OK) and access(W_OK) calls on most files, which is 2
> syscalls rather than 3.

I've seen you reported your GIO/GLib related patches on gtk-devel-list.
You'll have to talk to the GLib developers about getting them approved.

> Secondly, I patched Thunar, as follows:
> 1) Changed the ThunarFile implementation to only compute information
> that's "required", and, as more information is needed, complete this
> information.

The "required" bit is a bit complicated, I guess, so I can only judge
about this improvement based on real code.

> 2) When a directory is loaded, only basic information is retrieved:
> File type (directory/regular-file/symlink/special-inode), fast
> content type without following symlinks. This is very fast as it
> requires very little I/O. On the big CIFS directory: 75 seconds -> 2
> or 3 seconds. This is not very correct for symlinks, as it doesn't
> even know whether it points to a file/special-inode or directory. So,
> we go to point (3).

Interesting and good so far.

> 3) When the file is actually viewed, a background thread computes
> more info (and so, follow symlinks), and, after a few milliseconds,
> the icon is changed. If a symlink is discovered to point to a
> directory, it's inserted as subdirectory in the tree view.

Doesn't that mean things will jump up and down in the directory as you
browse it?

> 4) When a file or set of files is selected, their real content-type
> is computed in order to show a correct context menu, although, not
> everything is computed in some cases (e.g. If there's a file + a
> directory in the selection, it knows that the only verb is "open").

I wouldn't want to add two many special cases where we load additional
information. A first quick pass and then lazy loading additional
information all at once sounds more simple to me.

> Consequently, the behavior of double-click or context menu is not
> changed. Only icons may be "incorrect" a short amount of time.
>
> 5) The side tree view was extremely slow in some cases. It could
> freeze Thunar for several minutes. This is because Thunar wanted to
> know if each directory visible in the tree view had any subdirectory
> (following symlinks) in order to display a little cross to be able to
> expand the directory and view the subdirectories. This was performed
> in a background thread, but, on I/O bound systems, could slow down
> extremely all other I/O operations.
>
> Actually, this was the "bug" that made me initially write this set of
> patches.
>
> I changed that to make it behave like Nautilus: Don't enter
> subdirectories until the cross is clicked, in that case, if no
> subdirectory is found, just make the cross disappear... This is a
> "feature regression", but I may update the patch to make something
> fast and correct most of the time: Seek a subdirectory, parsing a
> limited number (e.g. one hundred) of sub-files at most, and stop as
> soon as a true subdirectory (not symlink) is found. In doubt, assume
> the directory may have subdirectories.

That sounds a little better and not too complicated either. Although I
wonder if seeking a subdirectory won't be much faster if we query less
information. Maybe that is enough optimization already?

> I may also provide a user preference to balance between performances
> and correctness. At the highest level of correctness, it would behave
> as the old Thunar (although twice as fast because, a "bug" in the
> folder listing function would make everything listed/stat-ed twice).

Please don't. No option for technical feature sets like this.

> 6) I fixed a few performance bugs. For example, when viewing a
> directory, it was sorted with a O(n^2) algorithm because the dir was
> initially listed as empty, and files, after having been listed in a
> background job, were seen as dynamically added files.

That itself doesn't imply O(n²), does it? My guess would be that it
depends on how you do the online sorting.

> 7) IIRC, I fixed a bug that made Thunar crash when seeing broken
> mount points (e.g. FUSE file system where the user-space process
> crashed).

Crash fixers are always good.

> My code is neither very pretty nor very commented, but I can improve
> the code quality before submitting the patches. I'd prefer to know
> whether Thunar maintainers would accept the patches befor cleaning
> them up.

It would of course be nice if you cleaned things up before we merge
them. I'm interested in your optimizations although I can't promise to
merge all individual improvements. Can you, for each of the above
points, create a bug on bugzilla.xfce.org and attach the corresponding
patches? Or, alternatively, clone the Thunar git repository, upload
your clone and put the fixes for each point into a dedicated branch?

Then we can continue discussing them on bugzilla.xfce.org.

> I hope that the philosophy of correctness of Thunar don't prevent
> pure performance patches like these ones, to be included.

Absolutely not, as state earlier. Raising these problems in a good
email is already worth quite a lot. Patches: awesome.

  - Jannis