[Thunar-dev] thunar extremely lagged when scrolling

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sat Jan 22 02:18:52 CET 2011

Using Thunar 1.2.0 on Arch with following additional packages:

thunar-media-tags-plugin v0.1.2
thunar-archive-plugin v0.2.4
thunar-volman v0.6.0
thunar-thumbnailers v0.4.1
tumbler 0.1.6

Issue is that after upgrade to 1.2.0, thumbnails stopped working in thunar.
(ffmpegthumbnail -i video.avi -o thumb.png worked fine, it wasn't that). I
was informed by someone in the arch IRC channel to install tumbler package
so I did, and thumbnails now work, however thunar is very laggy on scrolling
through directories, particularly in compact list view with many files. This
was never the case prior.

In Icon view when scrolling through a directory with maybe 50-70 thumbnail'd
files, as I'm scrolling I can see patches of thunar missing and catching up
as I scroll (using a grey gtk theme, parts of the directory go the same grey
as the background of thunar and it's obvious it's slow/struggling to render
the thumbnails as I'm scrolling).

Have been using thunar for years and can't stand the idea of using
nautilus/pcman/etc. so I really hope there's a possible solution to this,
thanks for any help!!