[Thunar-dev] sort files by extension in Thunar?

Michal Kaut michalkaut at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:47:14 CET 2010

Hello,

is it possible to sort files by extension in Thunar? I know it can sort
by "Type", but this is definitely not what I want, because:
- some extensions have the same type, for example .txt, .out and .dat
are all of type "plain text document" - so they get all mixed up
- it is difficult to find files; for example for the .dat files, I have
to remember that they are called "plain text" and therefore sorted under
"p" .. not to mention .mod files, where I have my optimization models,
which are called "Amiga Sountracker audio" and hence sorted under "A"..)

(The optimal thing, as far as I can tell, would be to have custom
columns in Thunar. In this way, one could have (and be able to sort by)
not only extension, but also ID3 tags for music and EXIF data for
pictures .. but that is probably too much to ask for?)

Thanks,
Michal