[Thunar-dev] Opened Thunar window makes mount.ntfs-3g consume too much CPU time.

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Tue May 18 17:29:05 CEST 2010

  Hello!

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:36:56 +0200
samuel <samuel.verstraete at gmail.com> wrote:

> nobody uses the ntfs-3g driver...
  And what driver are you suggesting to use instead (on the systems
with NTFS volumes)?
>... nobody uses cpufreqd....
  A similar question: what can you advise to use instead?

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:42:55 +0200
Steve Dodier <sidnioulz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Actually I think I can confirm this on Xubuntu 9.04, and 9.10 at least. I
> was thinking it was just the NTFS-3G driver being resource hungry, don't
> know if it's related to Thunar in any way. If I'm able to use a NTFS drive
> in the coming days, I'll post again to confirm/infirm if it's linked to
> Thunar here too.

  I'd like to recall that the situation is the following:
-  When I start Thunar, 'mount.ntfs-3g' process begins to use about 10%
of the CPU time in the highest frequency mode (!). And no matter
whether a folder on NTFS volume is opened in Thunar or on any other
(Ext3, for example).
 -  When I close Thunar, 'mount.ntfs-3g'  consumes almost nothing and
the CPU stays in the lowest frequency mode (this means that the CPU is
not loaded much).

  So, Steve, please check the behaviour of Thunar and 'mount.ntfs-3g'
on your system under the similar conditions. Just open Thunar and what
'top' shows about 'mount.ntfs-3g'. Then close Thunar, compare and
please, post the results here. I need to know if this is only my
problem.
  Thanks.

  Vladimir.

-----