[Thunar-dev] Xfce 4.8 schedule changes

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Jan 26 20:46:20 CET 2010

Hey,

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:08:33 +0200
v_2e at ukr.net wrote:

>   Hello!
>   Please excuse me for interrupting your constructive conversation. I
> am not a programmer, but I am Xfce user too. And so I just would like
> to ask what about the following functions:
> - execute some command before/after going into "sleep" mode (this is a
> very important function since there are some kernel modules which need

I'd say this is up to distributions to take care off, especially issues
related to unloading kernel modules. Last time I checked, suspending
and hibernation were implemented via pm-utils which allows
distributions to hook into events and run their own commands.

Of course this is not customizable by users but this can as well be
seen as an advantage as users shouldn't deal with things like this.

> to be unloaded before the system turns into "sleep" mode);
> - check for certain running processes before turning into "sleep" mode
> (this function becomes useful when you are downloading something with
> Wget, for example, and willing your laptop to turn into "sleep" mode
> only after download is finished);

Again, I'm no expert in power management but there are ways for
programs to inhibit the power manager (e.g. xfce4-power-manager) to
suspend or hibernate. This way media players or download tools (like
certain torrent applications) can force the machine to stay powered on.

> - log all the sleep/suspend/wake events to some log file;

If anyone is interested power management events, they could just
listen to the corresponding signals on D-Bus, I think. Log files are
useful for end users to find out why things go wrong but I doubt they
are of much use in this case.

> - making a kind of schedule (of course there is 'shutdown -h hh:mm',
> but still...);

I'd say this is something for third-party applications or the power
manager.

> - maybe producing some sound notification before going to
> "sleep" (strongly optional of course)?

I wonder what you need additional notifications for. If you battery is
running low, the power manage is going to display visual notifications
and at least on my laptop, the speaker beeps a few times. That's enough
notification in my opinion. And in those cases where users choose
suspend or hibernate on purpose they won't need notifications either.

  - Jannis