[Thunar-dev] changing default "double click action" for shellscripts....

William Hewitt wphewitt at comcast.net
Thu Feb 25 05:47:07 CET 2010

i want to replace the default  "double click" action for shellscript
mimetypes - currently a double click tries to  "execute" the script and
I would like it to instead invoke a pop up menu I have created based on
on mimetype....

This popup works for every other file I have tested, with the exception
of scripts (perl, python, shell, etc...) that have the execute bit set.....

what is the thought behind the thunar behaviour - insisting on executing
scripts?
Is there something I am missing here? It seems like this is counter
intuitive and a bit unsafe..... Perhaps if I understood the reasoning
behind this I might want to change my strategy...

Anyway, I wrote a popup menu that allows the enduser to choose through
various options (Edit, View, Convert, Print, Publish, Execute) based on
the mime type, but I dont know where to turn off this "execute" override
so my menu appears on "double clicking the script, rather the "open with
execute" default for scripts......

I am assuming that Thunar is setting this somewhere. If not Thunar, is
it GTK? Can someone tell me where this magic "open with execute" is - so
I  can change it?

WPH