[Thunar-dev] Shared progress dialog in Thunar

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Sep 12 15:57:23 CEST 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:48:49 +0200
Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:42:18 +0200
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I wonder what you guys think about this feature though. It's not
> > > committed to master yet, because I'd like to get some feedback. Do
> > > you like it, do you not like it?
> >
> > I would personally implement this in list model, so it scrolls
> > nicely.
>
> Yeah. I did that first but it looked like crap (which I guess is
> solvable). It also introduces new problems like how and when to resize
> and where to scroll when raising the dialog (when a progress view
> needs attention).
>
> I guess resizing could be rather simple by putting a scrolled window
> around the views as soon as there are more than three of them. After
> that, no forther resizing. Once there are less than four views, we
> shrink/grow the window with each view. Something like that. I'll test
> it later.

Ok, a version with this implemened is now available in the
'shared-progress-dialog' branch. Please give it a try.

Can anyone please run Thunar 1.0.x and check if their X CPU usage goes
up to ~50% with ThunarVFS? It might be that my GIO job implementations
emit more 'percent's signals and thus, causes a higher CPU usage.

> > Another (big, but difficult) improvement would be a pause button
> > and/or maybe a way (checkbox) to make 1 transfter at a time, this
> > would speedup multiple copies to a usb device for example, but maybe
> > that is a bit overly complicated.
>
> Yeah, although I'd say that this is a different story and can be
> looked at independently.
>
> > Anyway, sound like a branch to me ;-).

I created a branch now. Please give it a spin.

  - Jannis