[Thunar-dev] Directory thumbnails implemented

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 7 02:06:12 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 14:22, Anatoly Asviyan <aanatoly at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/6 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:23, Anatoly Asviyan <aanatoly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Implementation: Whenever Thunar looks up icon for directory, it checks
>> > if
>> > image file "directory/.DirThumb" exists. If so, Thunar composes content
>> > of
>> > .DirThumb over direcory icon from current icon theme.
>>
>> Why not use the existing emblem system to associate an icon with the
>> directory?
>
> Existing emblem system is not capable of it.  Sorry

I'm well aware of that, as I hinted.

>>  This would require a bit more work in order to allow using
>> arbitrary images as emblems, and allowing the size and position of the
>> emblem to change, but it's a lot more generic and better abstracted
>> this way.
>
> Require more work from whom? From thunar dev team or casual contributor?

Well, the "casual contributor" of course.

> Dear thunar developers, I did something on expense of my free time and
> published it. If you like it - use it. If not - ignore it. If you want thing
> differently - ask me or advice me. That's it. No complains. I do not get
> paid for writing thunar code.

The people who develop Thunar don't get paid either.  I was merely
doing *exactly* what you just asked: I think it should be done
differently, so I was asking you why you did what you did, and
advising you to do it another way.

I'm of course not suggesting you *have* to do anything.  I'm just
suggesting that what you did -- while cool and useful -- probably
isn't suitable for inclusion in Thunar as it is.  It's up to you
whether you want to do extra work to make it suitable.  If your goal
is to get your patch into mainline Thunar, then you'll have to do some
more work.  If your goal is just to write something useful to you and
toss it out there, that's fine too.  But you didn't at all make your
goal clear from your initial email.

Please don't be so defensive.  You did something of value, certainly.
It's up to you whether or not you want to put more work into it to
increase its value.

     -brian