[Thunar-dev] Directory thumbnails implemented

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 6 21:43:39 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:23, Anatoly Asviyan <aanatoly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Implementation: Whenever Thunar looks up icon for directory, it checks if
> image file "directory/.DirThumb" exists. If so, Thunar composes content of
> .DirThumb over direcory icon from current icon theme.

Why not use the existing emblem system to associate an icon with the
directory?  This would require a bit more work in order to allow using
arbitrary images as emblems, and allowing the size and position of the
emblem to change, but it's a lot more generic and better abstracted
this way.

Why ".DirThumb"?  Is there a relevant standard for this?  If there is,
why aren't you using it?  If not, I'd prefer to see this standardized
(and with a better naming scheme).  This also makes the associated
icon not themable.

> Patch to tunar-1.0.1 is here

Thunar 1.0.1 won't be receiving new features.  New development should
happen against git master, which likely has diverged a lot since 1.0.x
due to the new VFS backend.

     -brian