[Thunar-dev] Time navigation Proposal for the Thunar-Developer Comunity.

adria.ribatallada at est.fib.upc.edu adria.ribatallada at est.fib.upc.edu
Tue May 26 18:18:39 CEST 2009

   thunar-dev at xfce.org[1]

   Hello all.

   My name is Adrià Ribatallada Torelló, and I 'm a student
of computer science at the "Technical University of Catalonia" (UPC).

   I joined your mail-list recently because of my Project's theme.

   I 'm planning to make a Flat-Time-Based File Manager.

   Let me explain.

   As you all know, human beings have a natural ability for
understanding their environment in temporal terms. We naturally
classify our actions in time due to our inner perception of the
continuous succession of advancing events. So organising our actions
in a time-line is very straightforward for all of us.

   It's nothing new to notice that we classify our actions in time
instinctively, and that's the simple reason that explains the
usefulness of the "time navigation". But although it's not an
unfamiliar idea I think that it has been a little undeveloped,
mostly in the end-user interfaces and the file managers in particular.

   It's true that there's already some type of "temporal sort filter"
in virtually every file manager that exists, please note that I'm not
intending to do that but pretending to go a little much further.

   What I'm proposing is to create a file manager that neglects the
tree structure of a given "root" directory and presents all the files
that it contains sorted or filtered by time intervals. So with a
calendar You will select a date or a time interval and it only will
show the files created/modified/accessed in that time, but in the
whole disk.. not only in a folder.

   The project can also go further, but initially that will be the
first objective.

   As you may guess by now, I 'm planing to do that taking the Thunar
File Manager as a base model. And here's my first question for you: do
you think It's possible to do that with the Plug-in system of the
Thunar? or I will have to deal with the "core" of the file manager in
order to do that... what are the limits of the plug-ins?

   I will look forward for any comment or reply and for any suggestion
or help any of you might have.

   Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:thunar-dev at xfce.org