[Thunar-dev] Thunar shows wrong size

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Sat Jan 24 15:51:42 CET 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:44:23 +0100
Stefan Stuhr <thunardevlist at sstuhr.dk> wrote:

> The fact is that the de facto standard in software is to use base 2.
> Just as harddisk producents have a long history of using base 10, in
> software there's a long (longer?) history of using base 2.

>From a pedantic view I would agree. But from a usability view I don't.

> This situation is far from ideal, kilo is 1000, not 1024, but
> kibibyte, while perhaps more correct, feels more like a stopgap
> solution to me.

Sure, but why does du have a --si option which gives true GB?

> Sure, Thunar could use base 10, but that would not help with the
> confusion, making Thunar inconsistent in this from pretty much every
> other piece of software on users systems.

Inconsistent of what? Thunar is supposed to tell me how much of my disc
I use isn't it? It is long since we stopped counting files sizes in
bits... When you buy a new disc you get 1 000 000 000 bytes of space
(1GB) so why shouldn't Thunar tell me that I curently use 900 000 000
bytes in stead of something that seems smaller?

ls, du etc.. have the option to show proper MB, GB etc... why not
thunar?