[Thunar-dev] Ownership of auto-mounted devices

Jonathan Hepburn jonathan.hepburn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 08:35:51 CEST 2009

Greetings,

I use USB automounting with my Nokia, a cheap MP3 player, a couple of
USB sticks and, since today, a Seagate FreeAgent portable 2.5" hard
drive.

The problem is that, of them all, the FreeAgent is mounted with owner
and group both set to "root".

Now, I am dimly aware that automounting is a collaboration between
thunar-volman and hal. I have both of these installed. I do not have
gnome-device-manager (or whatever it's called) installed.

I have tried googling for an answer, but now my head aches and all I
have found is ways to fix devices not being mounted at all, which is
most emphatically not the problem here.

I have no /etc/fstab entries corresponding to any automounted devices.

The only thing I can think of that may have an impact is that the
FreeAgent uses NTSF, not a FAT variant.

Could someone please point me in approximately the right direction, if
not just tell me the solution? Where is the ownership of removable
devices decided?

--
=======
Jonathan Hepburn