[Thunar-dev] how to make thunar use umask 0007

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Thu Sep 11 09:39:40 CEST 2008

Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Mike Massonnet wrote:
>> Le Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:36:11 +0200,
>> Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello everybody, I got a big issue on a multi use system that uses
>>> thunar as file manager.
>>>
>>> The system and user umasks are set to 007 but when i create files and
>>> folders with thunar it does not correspond to the given umask. Can
>>> somebody duplicate this behavior and why is this and how can we fix
>>> this?
>> You must have a problem the way you log into X.  IMHO what is happening
>> is that the user doesn't have its umask set properly, unless he
>> launches a session shell.
>>
>> Open a terminal and run Thunar --quit.  Then restart Thunar from the
>> terminal and try to create a file and a directory.  It should work as
>> expected.  At least here it works fine.
>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Jelle
>>>
>>> $ umask
>>> 0007
>>> $ thunar -v
>>> Thunar 0.9.0 (Xfce 4.4.2)
>> Mike
>
> I did some more testing and thunar does not listen to the system umask
> and i dont now why, I attached the screenshot to show the testing:
>
> Somebody that now what is going on and how to fix it?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jelle de Jong

My excuse for my previous email with the screenshots and it's file size.
I should have made the screenshots black and white and used --select and
--border to only have the terminal and thunar in the screenshots, this
maybe saved 50% of the filesizes, else i could have used imagepaste and
send only the links in the mail.

I now just hope all readers can appreciate some nice visual artwork :-p

Best regards,

Jelle