[Thunar-dev] how to make thunar use umask 0007

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:32:37 CEST 2008

Le Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:36:11 +0200,
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> a écrit :

> Hello everybody, I got a big issue on a multi use system that uses
> thunar as file manager.
>
> The system and user umasks are set to 007 but when i create files and
> folders with thunar it does not correspond to the given umask. Can
> somebody duplicate this behavior and why is this and how can we fix
> this?

You must have a problem the way you log into X.  IMHO what is happening
is that the user doesn't have its umask set properly, unless he
launches a session shell.

Open a terminal and run Thunar --quit.  Then restart Thunar from the
terminal and try to create a file and a directory.  It should work as
expected.  At least here it works fine.

> Kind regards,
>
> Jelle
>
> $ umask