[Thunar-dev] system-wide document templates with thunar

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sat Nov 22 12:35:42 CET 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am searching for a way to use the document template system with a
>> system wide configuration. So instead of the /home/user/Templates
>> directory something like /etc/templates or /usr/share/templates.
>>
>> And I am not really looking for a symbolic link to from user home to
>> system dir solution :-p.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> Yes and no.  In the 4.4-era releases, no, not at all.
>
> In the 4.6 beta, you can by configuring the templates dir in
> xdg-user-dirs (google that).  But you have to set the templates dir for
> all users -- I guess a default config in /etc/skel would work for that.
>
> But note that this won't let you have a system dir and user dir for
> templates that get merged -- you can only have one dir for templates.
>
> 	-brian

Thank you Brian for taking the time to answer.

If I read the code and description correctly the users should set his
directories in the user-dirs.dirs.

However is this file in the $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs or in the
$HOME/user-dirs.dirs. I hope the first, else the config file is always
visible.

However I saw that the paths are relative to the home directory I hope
it will work with a fixed patch starting from the root patch
/usr/share/templates

I also wonder why there is not a system width config file that can be
overridden by the users configuration.

Sometimes I love to read beautifully coding, check this out:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/user-dirs/xdg-user-dirs/xdg-user-dirs-update.c?view=markup

Thanks for the answers,

Best regards,

Jelle