[Thunar-dev] A few issues with Thunar volume management

Denís Fernández Cabrera denis at ceibes.org
Tue May 13 09:43:09 CEST 2008

Hello, everyone.

I have been using Thunar for a while, and I think by far that it is
the best file manager out there --- it's fast, it's simple, and it
does what it must.

But I have a problem managing volumes with several partitions in
Thunar, using the automatic volume management provided: I have a 512MB
external HD with three partitions, which get automounted whenever I
plug it in. But:

- Whenever I unmount one of the partitions, the other ones get
unmounted too (actually, all the HD). The partition I unmounted
disapears from the location sidebar in Thunar, but not the other ones.
- If I click on one of the non-unmounted partitions, Thunar will
remount it *and* the previously unmounted partition will appear again
in the sidebar.

I have also noticed that after copying a large amount of data to this
HD (a backup of several GB) Thunar won't let me unmount the disk... or
rather, it will, but it will pop out an error saying that the disk is
busy. When I check which application is using the disk, it says that
Thunar is, even if the file copy dialog has finished its task, and
even if the red notification popup says that Thunar has finished
working with the disk. The only way I have found to unmount the disk
after one of these large backups was to kill Thunar, which would free
the disk for unmount.

Are these known bugs, or am I doing something wrong / is there
something wrong in my setup?

Thanks in advance,
Denís.

--