[Thunar-dev] Thunar hangs when the users home is on NFS mount

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Tue Mar 11 20:45:01 CET 2008

Ben Ford wrote:
> Stephan Arts wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Harald Schmalzbauer
>> <h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Shenton wrote:

>>>  Actually it's a problem with the thumbnail/.cache/NFS interaction.
>>>  I'm fine with symlinking ~/.cache (the NFS home) to
>>>  /usr/local/home/user/.cache/ (a machine-dependend local home, also for
>>>  .config and .gconf in my case), for example.
>>>
>> This sounds logical, thunar creates (and loads) thumbnails for every
>> file it can. This results in some very massive network traffic when
>> viewing a folder.
>>
>> You could argue that reading and writing thumbnails should be less
>> intrusive, but I wouldn't really know how.
>>
>> @Benny, do you have an idea if this is possible?
>>

> Why not cache remote filesystems to /tmp/thunar/...?

The other way round was needed. If the "destination" is remote, cache
should be stored locally. It's no problem to index/analyse remote files,
but it's a problem to store the result also remotely.
Btw, you do already have the possibility to decide if remote files are
thumbnailed. It's configurable via standard UI in Thunar.

Best regards,

-Harry