[Thunar-dev] Folder preview and thunar/xfdesktop integration

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Jan 26 20:54:55 CET 2008

Robert Kurowski wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:43:25 -0500
> "James Keane" <james.keane at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Do you think it would be possible to add support to allow folders to
>> show a custom image over a folder overlay?
>>
>> For example in windows if you put a file named folder.jpg/png
>> whatever, when you are looking at that folder from a level up it will
>> appear as a folder with that image overlapped. Don't know if you have
>> any experience with that, I will provide a screenshot if you want.  I
>> ask because I have a huge library of music organized in that way and
>> its nice to see album covers that represent what album is inside the
>> folder.
>>

> Maybe you should use some music managment software? Adding all to
> filemanager isn't best choise. look at Konqueror, it's all-in-one and
> it suck.
Well part of the problem with Konqueror is the way they do thumbnails:
for example with thumbnailers I think they have a thumbnailer daemon
which is passed the file-name... all in all it links together in quite a
complicated way. Furthermore the thumbnailers depend on external
programs: like kmplayer. If the user misconfigures that then
thumbnailers break too - it's all just far too complex. Also if the
daemon crashes you get no more thumbnails until the session is restarted.

On the other hand thunar does have thunar-media-tags plugin, which
allows for the editing of id3 tags on music files. This is a bit
all-in-one, except that it's just a plugin - not there by default.