[Thunar-dev] Thunars way of sorting files by name with numbers as filenames

Jackson Robertson daedalusman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 07:39:14 CET 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 2:35 PM, Michael Klein <ihmehls at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO Thunar gets it right and it's these image viewers and other file
> > managers that should fix their behaviour. Why would anyone put number 21
> > before number 3 if the file names are supposed to be in ascending order?
> > Is there any reason for wanting this illogical sort order other than
> > maybe being used to it?
> >
> > - Jari
>

> Because "2" is smaller than "3"? o.O I think the sorting should be char
> after char. So that leading chars are sorted first, then the second, the
> third, ...
>
> But anyhow, a friend of mine managed to write a patch for this and now it
> works like I intended it to be.
>
> Greets

Yeah but the number 21 is larger than 3. People count is this order they
don't count based on the the first number then move on to the second number.
Thunar should remain as is. I have always been irritated by the lack of
sense by programs when it comes to sorting numbers and am quite glad someone
finally got it right.