[Thunar-dev] columns UI

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 04:42:25 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Ian Katz <ifreecarve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bump.

I'm sure we got your email, man. If you don't get a response, maybe no
one has an answer. :) We (I use that term with a looseness
unparalleled) are in the middle of release right now, time is already
strained.

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Ian Katz <ifreecarve at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was very intrigued by the idea of a columns-based version of thunar:
>> http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/ui:columns-view
>>
>> Unfortunately, the tarball available on the wiki page segfaults on my system.
>>
>> It looks like there is little interest among the developers to pursue
>> this version.  Can you give some background as to why not?  I think it
>> looks great, and ever since seeing the columns UI on the mac finder
>> I've never wanted to use tree view ever, ever again.

I'm not particularly found of drill down mode myself, but I can see
how it might fit some workflows where treeview is the current closest
fit. I don't have any actual data on the Finder usability.

It's not in there because during the Thunar prototyping phase, those
of us heavily involved in the initial discussions for the UI didn't
bring it up, and the maintainer didn't like it. Had it been argued for
heavily, it might have made it in. It didn't really have a defender

>> If I wanted to try and fix it up myself, how many hours/days/weeks
>> would you expect it to involve?

Benny, the original author of those patches, hasn't been extremely
active of late. And how fast you could fix it up would of course
depend heavily on your skill.

Patches welcome, short of that, consider filing a bug for a feature
request, so it's not lost in the 4.6 noise.

>> -Ian

Erik
Madame de Pompadour: What do monsters have nightmares about?

The Doctor: Me