[Thunar-dev] Cannot open "Home" or "Filesystem" icons.

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:05:04 CEST 2007

On 9/27/07, Lisandro Grullon <lisandrogrullon07 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on this issue, I have all the latest
> package, is there anything that needs special trick to make the file manager
> to work properly? Thank you in advance. Lisandro

Looks like your D-bus install is pooched. The system bus that both
Thunar and Xfce-session are trying to connect to should be started by
a boot script.

That said at least on my system Thunar/xfdesktop can still open my
home and / without d-bus.

How did you install Thunar/Xfce? Distro packages, ports, from source?

> ________________________________
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:57:51 -0300
> From: rcoacci at gmail.com
> To: thunar-dev at xfce.org
> Subject: Re: [Thunar-dev] Cannot open "Home" or "Filesystem" icons.
>

> On 9/26/07, Lisandro Grullon <lisandrogrullon07 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear users,
> I am having a hard time opening the two icons mentioned in my subject. Some
> individual within the FreeBSD community recommend me to post here for any
> help.
> I am using FreeBSD 6.2 Release in AMD64, XFCE4 (latest release). Bellow I
> will paste the error I am getting on my .xsession-errors. Thank you in
> advance for any help with this. Lisandro
>
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your
> session with wtmp and utmp
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running:
> /usr/local/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x
> "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "lgrullon"
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> "man hier" will explain the way FreeBSD filesystems are normally laid out.
>                 -- David Scheidt < dscheidt at tumbolia.com>
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent --
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/Sessions/XFce4
> /usr/local/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
> xscreensaver: not found
> ** Message: This build doesn't include support for XF86Misc extension
> ** Message: Querying Xkb extension
> ** Message: Xkb extension found
> ** Message: Querying Xkb extension
> ** Message: Xkb extension found
>
> ** (xfce-mcs-manager:12889): CRITICAL **: find_master: assertion
> `mixer_handle != -1' failed
>
> ** (xfce-mcs-manager:12889): WARNING **: oss: No master volume
>
> (xfdesktop:12892): thunar-vfs-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the HAL
> daemon: Failed to connect to socket
> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
>

> Error: No running window found
> Error: No running window found
>
> ** (xfce4-session:12886): WARNING **: xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:94: Failed to
> connect to the system message bus: Failed to connect to socket
> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
> ** Message: xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:215: HAL not available or does not permit
> to shutdown/reboot the computer, trying sudo fallback instead.
>

> The above is the output of my .xsession-errors, maybe someone can
> troubleshoot this bug which acording to some people belongs to thunar.
>

> To me it seems you don't have D-BUS or it's misconfigured/not running. I
> don't remember if HAL is a hard dependency, but I think D-BUS is. I don' t
> know if they are in the root of your problem, but as far as I can see from
> your xsession-errors, they are missing.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>       Rodrigo
>
> A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
> [...]

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson