[Thunar-dev] 'Eject' USB drives

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 11:52:53 CEST 2007

>> At any rate, I'm not aware of any device that will actually have a
>> problem with being unplugged as long as all it's volumes are unmounted,
>> so, really, it doesn't matter so much in practice.  Not seeing the
>> 'ok to disconnect' message on the device can cause user confusion,
>> though.
That's true - it does cause confusion, from what I have seen.  My
parents use Linux and it was one of the most confusing things for them.
Unmount is a new concept, "eject" sounds like it only applies to CD
drives (which actually physically eject) so I think "Remove/Eject" might
be the best option.
> I just think that there needs to be a better perceptual model in the
> UI: Possibly involving an icon of an unplugged/plugged cable,
I've noticed that Thunar doesn't change the icon theme when I mount /
unmount a device?  Is this a problem with Thunar or my theme?

Erlend