[Thunar-dev] Developing a new app for Xfce

Gregory Bonik chaser at progtech.ru
Thu Jan 25 19:29:36 CET 2007

Jean-Francois Wauthy wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:42:58 +0300, Gregory Bonik <chaser at progtech.ru> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

> Hi
>

>> Does Xfce try to be "closed", i.e. to keep a limited number of
>> applications for it? Or is the appearance of such tutorial just a
>> question of time? I think that appearance of different apps written
>> specially for Xfce should bring more popularity and usability to it, so
>> it's no reason to keep Xfce closed. Especially now, when Xfce becomes a
>> _real_ desktop environment with own file manager etc.
>>

> Xfce is not "closed", the problem is that our man power is limited and
> therefore some cool things might be missing since we concentrate our
> efforts on other parts. As Bennedikt already told you GTK+ is the base library
> of Xfce, i guess the Internet has plenty of docs and tutorial about it; once
> you know what you're doing with gtk i think having a look at the API
> documentation to see what it offers above gtk is a good move. libexo has some
> interesting stuff too that might be worth a look before starting writing a
> xfce4-games application.
>
> And to finish Xfce is not so closed you know, i ended up with a CVS access 2
> months after installing it :D

Of course I know that its base is GTK+, I already have experience of
writing GTK programs, that's why I decided to write something for Xfce.
I just wanted to ask if there are some look-n-feel standards etc. for
"Xfce application".

Please excuse me for confusing a mailing list. I really looked like an
idiot :-)