[Thunar-dev] thunar-volman 0.1.0

Samuel Verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 08:39:06 CET 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:58:26 -0600
Cory Christison <cory.christison at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a similar problem, but plugging it into any Windows machine [I
> used my friends laptop] and setting it through there works lovely. No
> more fudding around for me!
>
>  - Cory Christison
>
> Mathias Brodala wrote:
> > Hello Benedikt.
> >
> > Benedikt Meurer, 16.01.2007 18:26:
> >
> >> The volume.label is used if not-empty. Besides that there doesn't
> >> seem to be a lot of useful information available. Not even the
> >> info.vendor is set. We could use info.product, but that's not
> >> really useful either.
> >
> > OK, then I guess it’s my turn to find out how to set labels for
> > fat32 devices.

$ mkfs.vfat
mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
No device specified!
Usage: mkdosfs [-A] [-c] [-C] [-v] [-I] [-l bad-block-file] [-b
backup-boot-sector] [-m boot-msg-file] [-n volume-name] [-i volume-id]
       [-s sectors-per-cluster] [-S logical-sector-size] [-f
number-of-FATs] [-h hidden-sectors] [-F fat-size] [-r root-dir-entries]
[-R reserved-sectors] /dev/name [blocks]

hint... you want the volume-name ;)