[Thunar-dev] thunar-volman 0.1.0

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:55:58 CET 2007

2007/1/15, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>:
> Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> >> I just released the first version of the Thunar Volume Manager. It adds
> >> automatic management of removable drives and media to Thunar, without
> >> adding another daemon to your desktop sessions. It requires Thunar
> >> 0.5.1svn or above, HAL 0.5.0 or above and D-BUS 0.32 or above.
> >
> > Just a silly question but, how does it manage to get the events
> > without being a daemon ?
>
> Voodoo magic ;-)
>
> Ok, maybe not... Thunar acts as a proxy between hald and thunar-volman.
> Since Thunar is running and monitoring HAL events anyway, that's pretty
> easy. Whenever HAL reports a new device, Thunar runs thunar-volman to
> handle the new device (if "Volume Management" is enabled).

Thanks for the information. And thanks for the great piece of software
too. I must say, I was never quite fond of file managers (theres some
sort of magnetism that kicks me back to bash for file management every
once in a while) but, since Thunar, I use bash only for
programming-related file management, and I'm even considering start
using Thunar for that too.  :)

Great work, and it keeps getting better everytime.

Best regards,
Alexandre Moreira.