[Thunar-dev] Mounting fails due to no available org.freedesktop.Hal services

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Jan 13 02:52:56 CET 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:40:10 +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > But: Whenever I start thunar with a running hald (sorry, my last
> > mail contained a lot of hald-* processes, but not "hald" itself)
> > and try to mount one of the devices, I get this:
> >
> > jannis at nebelsee ~ $ thunar
> > Thunar: Failed to connect to the D-BUS session bus: Failed to
> > connect to socket /tmp/dbus-TTavTtFLD4: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
>
> D-Bus system daemon not running.
>
> > And after that, "hald" is not running anymore (but the helper apps
> > are, as listed my last mail). Weird, isn't it?
>
> Well, either a problem with D-Bus or a problem with HAL.

Probably, yes. It's just that I can't really verify what's wrong. I've
D-BUS 1.0.1, D-BUS GLib bindings 0.72 and HAL 0.5.8.1 installed on my
system (Lunar Linux, so none of the original config files - like
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf - were modified).

Now if I start D-BUS and HAL and try to mount something, I get this
"... is not provided by any .service files" error message. After that,
hald isn't running anymore. This is what happens as root. Now if I set
up D-BUS to give normal users access to some HAL-related D-BUS
services, like you suggested to Samuel in his bug report, I get exactly
the same error.

I know the package versions are pretty much bleeding edge as Lunar
isn't bound to fixed package release cycles, but nonetheless I'd love
to be able to get some more debugging information out of
Thunar/HAL/D-BUS to find a fix for this annoyance. After all, I
remember that it worked before exo-mount was introduced.

- Jannis