[Thunar-dev] dcraw thumbnailer

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 9 10:47:56 CET 2007

Timothy White wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Erlend Davidson <E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jens - I've added it to SVN. Dcraw claims to be able to produce
>> thumbnails of all camera raw images... I've added all the mimetypes for
>> the different formats apart from Adobe's DNG, Sony's arw, and Sigma's
>> x3f (because I don't know those mimetypes). This needs testing, so could
>> anybody with any digital camera that supports Raw please try the
>> thumbnailer? I'm also curious as to how long it takes?
>>

> Works nicely with NEF files (Nikon I think, my mates photos).
> Although I get the odd feeling that I had thumbnails for them back in
> November when they were taken, so not sure if they have embedded
> thumbnails seeing as gqview only see's a low res version when forced
> to open the file.)
> Still, cleared the thumbnail cache, opened the folder and while it was
> a slow (maybe 4 a second) generation, it appears to work!!
>
> With my Minolta, it doesn't.
> $dcraw -w -i PICT3834.MRW
> PICT3834.MRW is a MINOLTA DYNAX 5D image.

Can you check what your system seems the mimetype as...
$ file -i -b PICT3834.MRW
> Any clues?? I just did a SVN up this morning, but is there more to try?

The image formats that should be tested are: .raf, .crw/.cr2, .kdc,
.mrw, .nef, .orf.

There are a few more formats for Sony and Sigma cameras, but I don't
know the mimetypes (I could guess they are probably image/x-sony-arw
though).