[Thunar-dev] Use another mouse button for gestures

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jan 5 15:40:24 CET 2007

Matt McClinch wrote:
> Erlend Davidson wrote:
>
>> I recently got a new computer mouse which has one of those 4-way mouse
>> wheels that go left-right (generally for scrolling horizontally) as well
>> as the usual up-down. A lot of linux programs already use the left-right
>> feature - in firefox it acts as back-forward, in eclipse it lets me
>> scroll left-right, in xfwm4 it lets me change workspace.
>>
>> I'm wondering if thunar could use it for going back-forward like firefox?
>>

> Oh, please no.  Then you wouldn't be able to use the horizontal scroll wheel
> for its intended purpose -- horizontal scrolling.
Well the horizontal scroll wheel was invented for Windows user to scroll
horizontally.  But in Linux we can hover the mouse over the horizontal
scroll bar and the vertical wheel starts to scroll horizontally.  Also,
there is only one view mode in thunar (detailed list) where you'd have
to scroll horizontally.  Compact list is horizontal but it accepts the
vertical wheel all the time.