[Thunar-dev] thunar custom actions menu grouping

Aurélio A. Heckert aurium at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:21:34 CEST 2007

On 8/23/07, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> Erlend Davidson wrote:
> > (...)
> > Well I think Aurelio's SVN plugin also needs it.  I think it is a good
> > idea, I wonder if it is possible with proper extensions (as opposed to
> > UCA's)?  The trouble with putting it in UCA is that it will complicate
> > things quite a lot: also on the user-interface side.
>
> So why would we not simple use the existing freedesktop.org standard for
> the *.desktop files and menus. It is documented and proven to work. Just
> make a script folder in the users Thunar preference folder in its home
> directory. Then scan this directory for the *.desktop files and build
> the sub-menu for Thunar. The menu information can be cached so
> performance loss will be minimal. I think it is extremely important that
> we use a very standard way of implementing a sub-menu, because this
> increase the change that all other file managers out there, will also
> support the sub-menu implementation.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jelle

Hi Jelle,

I think you are giving the best way.

Erlend Davidson make a good question about the pattern.
But the desktop file specification has the solution. See:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

MimeType : The MIME type(s) supported by this application.

It is not equal to pattern, but it is better. An bash executable file
can do not have a ".sh", but it's MIME Type is "application/x-sh" ;-)

The edit interface can have a select list of knowed MIMEs to
add for the list. The user don't must write that.

Yes Jelle. Your idea is better then mine! :-)

 Aurium

--
    .           .   Aurélio A. Heckert [ GNU/Linux ]

  "Se conhecimento é poder, que país governado
   por industriais dará a verdadeira educação?
   Cuidado com o feedback da miséria!" Tet Ramon
  "Eu temo pela minha espécie quando penso que
   Deus é justo."  Thomas Jefferson