[Thunar-dev] thunar custom actions menu grouping

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Thu Aug 16 10:21:01 CEST 2007

I have been thinking about this problem quite a while now.

I want to use freedesktop.org *.desktop standardisation files to
integrate scripts in the right menu of the great Thunar file manager.

Wouldn't it be great to have this functionality?

I have around 30 self made scripts integrated into Thunar. The problem
is they are not grouped nicely in categories. I would like to be able to
create sub menu's to sort the scripts.

I think the standard *.desktop files can be used for this, just like in
the application menu's. We can probably keep the current configure
custom action system. Only let Thunar scan the files that are in the
actions list. When these files are of the .desktop format then read them
and change the menu structure depending on the contains. I only don´t
know how the argument passing should go.

Would somebody be willing to investigate this idea and maybe realise it?

Best regards,

Jelle