[Thunar-dev] samba

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 00:37:14 CEST 2006

On 14 Sep 2006, at 12:50, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Kresimir Spes wrote:
>> is there a chance that the smb protocol (windows shares) will be
>> implemented in thunar? I know the goal is to make a lightweight file
>> manager, but this is a very important feature.
>> a compromise would be to enable/disable smb:// at compile time.
>
> If there's a compile time option, every distribution will enable
> it, so
> whats the deal?
Gentoo won't, and people who compile from source will have the choice.

Instead, what do you think of a network transparency API (which could
be disabled at compile time for extra-lightweightness) that people
can write plugins (samba, subversion, cvs) for.  Currently I think
only Konqueror has network transparency, so a gtk competitor might be
good.