[Thunar-dev] thunar and remote server connection, browsing, drag and drop

Matt McClinch mattmcclinch at gmail.com
Thu May 18 02:40:06 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>b) In the meantime, we can/will add a network browser (most probably
>based on avahi or howl, and using some SMB magic) to Thunar, that
>displays the available share and allows to mount them.

I think avahi would be overkill for something as simple as this.  It
seems to me that libsmbclient (which is part of samba) is all you really
need.  Besides avoiding the need for extra dependencies, it's pretty
easy to use, especially when wrapped in a gobject, as demonstrated here:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mmcclinc/smblist/

Of course, libsmbclient also provides everything you need for building a
fully functional samba client (or, for that matter, a bare necessities
one) without the need for smbfs.  It is good to use smbfs where
available, but it is also good to support smb without requiring the use
of smbfs.

>Benedikt

Matt