[Thunar-dev] a plugin request idea

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu May 4 17:17:43 CEST 2006

Mike Massonnet wrote:
>>>Back in my windows days I really fuond this plugin to windows explorer
>>>really handy:
>>>
>>>http://www.pressibus.org/windows/fichiers/gbdfolder.html
>>
>>I like the idea, tho I don't like the tree view. Do you know JDiskFree
>>(not sure about the exact name, it's part of jgoodies and solaris,
>>IIRC)? Something like that, with a Thunar plugin, that'd be perfect.
>
> In KDE are nifty tools to get information about used disk space.
>
> kdirstat (windirstat is a port for windows)
> http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/ (http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/)
> http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/screen-shots/kdirstat-main.png
>
> filelight
> http://www.methylblue.com/filelight/
> http://www.methylblue.com/filelight/images/filelight_0.6.3-2.png
>
> I don't think they could fit in the property box (it is a slow process and I'm
> happy with the throbbler special behaviour :>) but they are good softwares to
> be kept left. Custom actions are actually a good entry point for them... :)

Jep, FileLight comes close to JDiskFree. KDirStat features the same
useless UI as does baobab.

I don't care if its part of the properties dialog or available via the
context menu. But such an utility would be really neat.

Maybe somebody wants to start with a Python/Ruby mockup. The actual
drawing of the stats should be easy using cairo (there's a python cairo
+ GtkWidget tutorial).