[Thunar-dev] Feature request optional dual pane view modeand other requests

Kevin Olemoh darkintent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 03:15:51 CEST 2006

While evaluating thunar as a replacement for Nautilus I took note of some
things that both Nautilus and Thunar and quite frankly most other File
managers I have tried lack.

1. While the ability to open folders in tabs is nice sometimes it is
nessecary to view more than one folder at the same time.  It would be nice
if Thunar had the option to split the window and create something akin to
what one gets with Krusader or Konqueror. [But for the love of all that is
good if you decide to implement this feature request please make sure one is
always able to tell what directory is being viewed without having to select
the panel.]

2. It would also be nice to have a terminal emulater popup again not unlike
Krusader or Konqueror.  While it is nice to have a true terminal popup its a
bit more effective to have a window popup inside the file manager window
instead of having to move over to a whole other window.

3. The ability to show files and folders in groups like Internet Explorer
for a visual representation of what I mean here is a screeenshot of Internet
explorer utilizing this feature:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2123292594.png&s=x4
Take note of how the PDF files in the screenshot are grouped under the
heading Adobre Acrobat and the executeables are grouped under the heading
Application.

The show in gorups mode also allows one to show images grouped by the
dimensions of the image [NOT the file size] with headings like 1600x1280,
1280x1024 etc.

4. For the single click selection mode hovering over an item should select
it instead of the current behavior which forces one to ctrl+click in order
to select files without actually opening them.  In Internet Explorer for
example when one sets the mouse click to single hovering over an item
selects it and holding down ctrl or shift and dragging selects multiple
files.

5. It would also be nice to be able to set the left or right click mouse
button to select items not unlike Midnight Commander can do where the right
click allows one to select multiple files without having to depress ctrl or
shift to do so.  Handling the right click context menu could be handled by a
setting that determines how long one must hold the left or right mouse
button down before the context menu would appear as opposed to the file
being selected.

That is all I can think of for now, I hope you all will be receptive to at
least some of the things I have brought up in this email.  I am looking
forward to the eventual stable release of this nice program.